This press release comes from the Office of State Senator Mike McGuire, who along with Congressman Jared Huffman will be convening a special hearing on the upcoming crab season, as well as taking a look at the state's aquaculture industry. The meeting will be open to the public and is being held in Bodega Bay from 1 - 4 pm tomorrow, Tuesday October 4, but those that can't attend can watch the livestream at www.senate.ca.gov. More information about the hearing is listed below, and more information about the Committee can be found at http://fisheries.legislature.ca.gov.
Sacramento, CA – Senator Mike McGuire, chairman of the Joint Committee on Fisheries and Aquaculture, and Congressman Jared Huffman will convene a special hearing tomorrow - Tuesday, October 4 - at the Bodega Marine Laboratory to hear an update from scientists and fishery experts on the upcoming California crab season and take an in-depth look at the aquaculture industry in California.
This hearing – “Crab Season Outlook for 2016-17 and Modern Aquaculture in California” – will be the first time that the Joint Committee has focused primarily on Aquaculture, which can be thought of as “farming in water.” The farmed fish, oysters and seaweed industry is larger than ever and panelists will explore finfish, shellfish, inland production and perspectives from state agencies. The public is encouraged to attend.
The hearing will be held from 1 to 4 p.m. tomorrow Tuesday, October 4 at the Bodega Marine Laboratory in Bodega Bay, California. The hearing will be streamed live at www.senate.ca.gov. The public is welcome to attend.
Legislative Panel Members:
- Senator Mike McGuire, Committee Chairman
- Congressman Jared Huffman
2016- 2017 Crab Season Briefing:
- Raphael Kudela, PhD. - Lynn Professor of Ocean Health, University of California Santa Cruz will give an update on domoic acid levels throughout coastal waters
- Sonke Mastrup - Environmental Program Manager, California Department of Fish and Wildlife will provide a briefing on how the Agency is preparing for crab season
- Patrick Kennelly - Chief, Food Safety Section, California Department of Public Health will provide a briefing on how the Department is preparing for crab season
Industry Overview Panel
- Anthonie Schuur - President, California Aquaculture Association
Offshore Finfish Panel
- Don Kent - President and Chief Executive Officer, Hubbs-SeaWorld Research Institute
- Steve Gaines, PhD. - Dean and Professor, Bren School of Environmental Science and Management
- John Finger - Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer, Hog Island Oyster Company
- Greg Dale - Southwest Operations Manager, Coast Seafood Company
Inland Production Panel
- Tony Vaught - President, Professional Aquaculture Services
- Ken Beer - President and Chief Executive Officer, The Fishery
State and Federal Agency Panel
- Randy Lovell - State Aquaculture Coordinator, California Department of Fish and Wildlife
- Diane Windham - Aquaculture Coordinator California, NOAA Fisheries West Coast Region
For more information about the Fisheries and Aquaculture Hearing visit the Committee web site at: http://fisheries.legislature.ca.gov